Suggestions for methods
Courses for initial teacher training have to be inserted in the general curriculum of Italian university courses. A hypothesis could be the following:
- one unit of the sociology-anthropology classes (five hours) on general problems of multiculturality and intercultural education
- one unit of the psychology classes (five hours) on working with minority children and relationships with their families
- individual practical training in a class with minority children, inside a school collaborating with the GOOD-ID project.
- preparation of the final dissertation (first or second year, according to the structure of the whole curriculum) on the relationships with minority parents as an instrument for increasing academic achievement and well being of minority children
Contents and techniques
Individual written reports and subsequent group discussion on topics such as:
- Institutional and social relationships in my school
- Processes of establishing the general principles, aims and policies for implementing a democratic and participated social life in my school.
- A concrete case of successful practice in handling problems of communication and cooperation with an immigrant pupil’s family
- A concrete case of unsuccessful practice in handling problems of communication and cooperation with an immigrant pupil’s family
- Strategies for stimulating attitudes of co-responsibility in all the educational agents inside and outside school.
- Managing with difference and looking for sharing in the field of values