The problem of discipline
Is there a written code of rules for students?
Does it delineate the concrete consequences for types of misbehaviours?
Is it adequately disseminated to parents?
Do parents sign it?
Is that code discussed in meetings with parents and with school caretakers?
Does it include expected behaviours outside the classroom?
Which among the following behaviours are common to all the pupils or more typical of immigrant pupils:
- Habitual tardiness
- Frequent skipping classes
- Continual inattention in class
- Failure to complete school work
- Excessive talking
- Disruptive behaviour
- Physical assaults on classmates
- Destructive of school property
- Sexual harassment
Referring to your personal experience of pupils’ misbehaviours and offences in class, the most frequent causes were to be found in:
- Social environment
- Parental attitude
- Lack of parental control
- Peer group influence
- Teachers’ attitude
- Lack of school control
- Learning problems of pupils
- Personal problems of pupils