Language club for mothers
The main reasons are:
- the relationship between original and L2 language;
- he integration with native and immigrant schoolfellow;
- intergenerational relationship into the immigrant family.
According to that, relation between the family of the immigrant pupil and the school is one of the most important element for a positive insertion in the school system.
In the family the minor goes on with speaking original language but the second language in the classroom, often it's a unknown language to learn very quickly to be in the condition to relate with the schoolfellow.
Another question in the cultural aspect. Some minors have never lived in the original country and the relation with it is characterized by vagueness, approximation and lack of information that generate a sentiment of indifference and separation. But some of these children lived in the original countries for a short time and this fact often generates in oneself a nostalgic or conflictual relation. But the connection with the origins remains always inalienable and in this dynamics the parents have an important role because it is the same as an elaboration of own identity.
On the basis of that the school operators should build about the school a net of relationship and initiatives taking aim at making immigrant mothers not having with the school only an exclusively instrumental relation. It's an opportunity both for the children and the migrant mothers that have the possibility “to see” their children into the school going over mistrust and prejudicial representations. The migrant mums, that are housewife or on a short term contract, find a social place going out from a isolation situation.
To favour the meetings and exchanges:
- to organize with all the classroom mothers “cooking evenings” about original country gastronomy (to create an exchange and sharing atmosphere around the tastes of all the world)
- to involve all the mothers in the story of their children about their birth (traditions, rites, etc.)
- to organize exchange and learning times between the mothers (language, music, dance, etc.)
- to organize, with the support of the associations, L2 learning for the mothers openings the courses also to the migrant women of the territory;
- to invite the immigrant mothers in the classroom to discuss about original country culture.